Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area
new cardiff > ENG > Resident > Planning > How to apply for planning permission > Do I need planning permission

Do I need planning permission?

You will need planning permission if you want to alter a building, piece of land or a permanent structure (such as a wall) and you need to carry out building work to do it. You will also need planning permission if your work will change the way the building or land is used. 


Apply for planning permission.


You will usually need planning permission to:


  • build a new building
  • extend or alter an existing building
  • make changes to the way a building is used, for example turning a house into flats or making an industrial building into a home
  • undertake engineering work or other works, such as sewerage
  • demolish a building or structure
  • carry out work on a listed building
  • carry out work in a conservation area
  • carry out work on protected trees or trees in a conservation area
  • build new agricultural buildings.


The Planning Application Wales websiteExternal link opens in a new window has more information to help you find out what type of planning permission you need. 


Planning Application Wales is a national website for all planning permissions and information in England and Wales. The information and services it offers are designed for home owners, businesses, planning professionals and Government officials. 


Cardiff Council is fully integrated with Planning Application Wales.

 Permitted developments where you don’t need planning permission


There are some minor improvements, alterations and extensions you can make to your house that you don’t need planning permission for. These can include construction of some types of porch, glass conservatories under a certain size and also some internal changes. 

We call these permitted developments. You can get more advice about permitted developments and download an information booklet from the Welsh Assembly GovernmentExternal link opens in a new window or from the national Planning Application Wales siteExternal link opens in a new window .


Other ways to check if you need planning permission


If you are still unsure if you need planning permission, you can:



If you require advice, please see Pre Application enquires.