Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Repairs to your house

​While living in a council property, you may need to:

  • carry out housing repairs yourself, or
  • report a repair for us to deal with.

Please report all non-emergency repairs using our online report form. 

Contact C2C for emergency repairs only.

You are responsible for:

  • broken glass replacement (unless it is the result of a crime)
  • interior decoration
  • replacement keys
  • damaged locks
  • toilet seats and covers
  • plugs and chains to sinks, baths and basins
  • connection of cookers, washing machines and other appliances
  • internal doors
  • blockages to sinks, baths and basins​
  • television aerials to houses
  • rotary lines to houses
  • repair of fixtures and fittings where damage is malicious or through neglect
  • light bulbs (except in communal areas)
  • shelves, coat rails, etc. fitted by tenants
  • unauthorised alterations / DIY 

For further information, please consult your Tenants Handbook.​​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window​​​​

We are responsible for:

  • maintaining the structure of your home, and
  • ensuring that fittings for water, sanitation, gas and electricity are safe and in working order. 

We categorise all repairs so that we can prioritise the work that needs doing. 

Repair categories are:
  • ​Emergency works (2 hours to respond and 24 hours to make safe.)
  • Urgent works (5 working days)
  • Routine works (25 working days, these works cover everything that is not an Emergency or Urgent repair.)
​​ You can find more information in the Tenancy Agreement.​​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window

Emergency works

Emergency repairs such as, but not limited to:
  • dangerous electrics,
  • uncontainable leaks,
  • emergency boiler breakdowns, or
  • insecure properties​

​​ Urgent works

Urgent repairs such as, but not limited to:

  • leaks you can contain,
  • repairs to your shower,
  • damp issues inspection, and
  • communal door entry systems
​​ ​

Routine works

​​​Routine repairs such as, but not limited to:

  • plaster to walls,
  • gate and fencing,
  • guttering, and
  • carpentry works
​ ​

We carry out maintenance to all council homes on an annual basis to replace or renew elements of your home that are coming towards the end of their useful life. 

Examples of planned maintenance are: 

  • external painting and repairs,
  • upgrading of existing central heating systems and boilers,
  • roof renewal,
  • cavity wall tie replacement, or
  • installation of double glazing 

We will write to you providing details of what maintenance is going to be taking place, when it will be completed and who will be doing the work. 

A sub-contractor will contact you to arrange an appointment. 

Our team will also be available to answer any queries you may have.​

As landlord we are legally responsible for ensuring the safety of tenants and visitors to council properties. 

Your gas central heating must be serviced once a year to keep you and your family safe from gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Regular servicing means it is rare for gas appliances to fail the annual inspection. However, should an appliance fail, arrangements will be made on the spot to ensure your safety and the necessary repairs will be carried out as soon as possible.


Your appointment


We will send you a letter approximately 2 weeks before the date of your gas servicing appointment. 

If the date of your appointment is not convenient then please book an appointment.

Call our Gas Service appointment line on: 029 2087 2087  

Select option 2 to arrange an alternative appointment. 

Please ensure that you give a minimum of 48 hours notice.


Access to your property

You must allow our gas engineers access to your council home for the annual servicing appointment.  

If you do not allow access you will be in breach of the conditions of your Tenancy Agreement. 

All of our engineers are registered with Gas Safe. The engineer who calls at your home should show his Gas Safe ID and registration number. 

When the service engineer has completed a successful service and safety check, you will be provided with a copy of the Landlord Gas Safety Certificate (CP12) for your own records. 

Gas Le​aks

We are not responsible for tracing and rectifying gas leaks. If you smell gas contact Wales and West Utilities​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window​​ on 0800 111 999.


  • Turn the gas off at the meter
  • Open the windows and doors to let the gas fumes out
  • Do not use any naked flames and do not smoke
  • Do not operate any electrical sockets or appliances. 

​​ ​

Reporting a repair

If the council is responsible for the repair to your house, please report it using our online report form or if it is an emergency repair, please call C2C on 029 2087 2087.

We will give you a date and time slot once you have reported a repair. Please specify if you have a preferred time slot when you report a repair.

The available slots are:​

​​Slot type

​​Slot times
​8.30am - 12.30pm
​12.30pm - 4pm
​8.30am - 4pm
​School run
​10am - 2pm

If possible, please include your phone number so we can confirm your appointment.

When you complete the form, please make sure you tell us:
  • ​​Your preferred time slot, 
  • Any special circumstances, 
  • Any damage being caused.
​​When you complete the form, please let us know if you would prefer appointment confirmation ​by text.

Please note that you could be charged if you miss your appointment without cancelling. We require 24 hours notice of cancellation.​

Cancelling an appointment

You can change or cancel a repair by phone or webchat. Please give us at least 24 hours’ notice.

You will need to provide your address and job number and as much notice as possible if you are unable to keep your appointment.

© 2022 Cardiff Council