Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

How to formally appeal a decision after a Notice to Owner

​​​​​​​​​If you have received a Notice to Owner, you can formally appeal by making representations within 28 days. If we receive your formal appeal (representations) after 28 days, we may not consider it.

Please do not pay if you want to challenge the PCN. We consider payment an admittance of liability and if you pay, we may not consider your challenge. The fine will not go up while we review your appeal. 

nce we have received your appeal, we will send you an acknowledgement letter. We will put the case on hold whilst a case officer considers your appeal. We will usually send you this decision within 56 days. 

To formally appeal a parking fine, you will need your web code. This is 8 digits long and includes numbers and letters. For example: 111XX111. You can find this on the back of the first page of your Notice to Owner.

You can appeal a Notice to Owner online​, or in writing. You can find Parking Services’ postal address on your Notice to Owner. 

The owner or hirer of the vehicle remains liable even if they were not driving at the time of the contravention.

Please make sure you include your:

  • return address,

  • PCN number,

  • vehicle registration mark, and 

  • any evidence you feel may support your case. 

We cannot resolve challenges over the phone or in person.​

Your representations must be true to the best of your knowledge. Making false representations is a criminal offence and you may be prosecuted if you do.

Any information provided will be processed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The authority or other relevant bodies may use any information you provide for enforcement purposes, fraud detection or for any other related purposes as permitted by law.

If we reject your formal appeal

If we reject the formal appeal you sent after you received a Notice to Owner, you can have the matter considered by an independent adjudicator from the Traffic Tribunal Service

The Notice of Rejection we send to you will contain:

  • instructions on how to appeal to the Tribunal, and 

  • a unique appeal code.

The adjudicator is completely independent to us. Their decision is final and legally binding on us and the person who has appealed.  

What to do if you cannot find your fine or web code 

Find out what to do if you cannot find your fine or web code​.  ​

Contact us

© 2022 Cardiff Council