Sign In

My Neighbourhood

Use your postcode to find local councillors, facilities, school catchment areas and more.

Find facilities in my area

Cardiff Council

Do I qualify for Housing Benefit

​​​​​​​You can only make a new claim for housing benefit if one of the following applies:

  • You and your partner are pension age
  • You're staying in a refuge, hostel or some types of supported or temporary housing

Otherwise, you must claim u​niversal credit​.

As long as you meet the criteria above, Housing Benefit is available to you if you are:​

  • A council tenant
  • A housing association tenant
  • In a shared ownership scheme (but only for the rental part of the agreement)
  • Renting private accommodation
  • Paying a rental charge for mooring your houseboat
  • Paying a rental charge for pitching your mobile home or caravan.


You can claim Housing Benefit to help pay your rent whether or not you are: 

  • Receiving other benefits, tax credits, or pensions
  • Working
  • Unemployed
  • Unable to work due to illness or disability
  • Caring for a child or adult
  • Retired.


But not everyone who makes a claim for benefit is entitled to receive it. If you have capital (e.g. savings, property or any other assets) ​of £16,000 or more, you will not be entitled to Housing Benefit unless you receive Pension Credit Guarantee Credit​​​​​​​​​​​External link opens in a new window.

If you pay council tax, you may also be able to get a Council Tax Reduction

The best way to find out if you can get benefit is to contact us.


Contact us

Tel: 029 2087 1071



© 2022 Cardiff Council